skip navigation

Patricia Shulenburg’s Story

I received my Bachelor’s degree from the University at Buffalo in 2005 with a double major in Psychology and English. For 6 years I worked in the Human Services field as a fundraiser, service coordinator, and support group leader for individuals with chronic illnesses. In 2011, I wanted to further explore career opportunities and pursue my love of science. I volunteered at the Aquarium of Niagara caretaking animals while fundraising for the institution. I was also taking Biology coursework as an non-matriculated student at UB including a Tropical Marine Ecology field course in the Bahamas. I considered pursuing a Master’s degree in Biology, however, I wanted a more interdisciplinary experience and the option to frame my coursework around Great Lakes ecology. This led me to the Graduate Interdisciplinary Degree Program.

The Evolution, Ecology and Behavior department oversaw my Interdisciplinary Natural Sciences M.S.  Degree. I combined coursework in Biology, Geography, and Engineering to guide my professional career as a Restoration Ecologist. I have worked as an Ecology Professor, Technician at the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and an Education and Outreach Assistant at Western New York PRISM. I am now a Project Manager for a $180,000 Great Lakes Restoration Initiative Grant at Sandy Island Beach State Park where I engage professionals and stakeholders from multiple fields. In my other title, FORCES Program Specialist, I work with over 22 universities to provide academic and career opportunities for college students with diverse backgrounds while conserving natural resources at New York State Parks.

-Patricia Shulenburg ’12
Friends of Recreation, Conservation and Environmental Stewardship (FORCES) Program Specialist
New York State Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation